We are seeking a part-time culture writer to contribute 3 full days per week out of our Brooklyn office.
The successful candidate will have the ability to pitch responsively, write analytically, and think creatively about the subjects we take seriously. We are looking for someone interested in at least two of these three coverage areas: internet culture, how technology will effect social change, and future racial and sexual identities. Writers should feel comfortable expressing opinions, engaging in open debate, and reporting on everything from a viral meme to the automation economy. Curiosity is the single most important trait we look for in a writer. Facility with language is the second.
- Generate ideas for and pitch stories
- Write both news and feature stories
- Work with editors and fellow writers
- Keep an eye out for areas of potential coverage
- Professional writing experience, preferably in a digital capacity
- Availability to commit full days to freelance
- Adept and aware of all things cultural
- A desire to work in an evolving start-up environment
Please submit your resume and links to relevant clips below.