At Inverse, we obsess over one question: What could happen next? To provide answers — and there are many — we seek out emerging ideas, new technologies, and simmering trends as well as fearless innovators, designers, and thinkers. We’re compulsively curious not only because we’re fans of progress, but also because we want a glimpse of the future and the chance to better plan for and enjoy tomorrow.
What We're Looking For:
Inverse's editorial internship and fellowship program is a three-month long, writing-intensive experience that focuses on one of our five verticals — Science, Innovation, Entertainment, Culture, and Mind & Body. With the oversight of an experienced editor, our interns and fellows will get the chance to learn how to pitch a feature, write different types of stories, and break news. These people will spend three to five days a week in our NYC office, experiencing firsthand the ins and outs of a startup publication.
What's the difference between the internship and fellowship?
The nuts and bolts are the same. Both involve pitching, writing, and facilitating the editorial process, but the fellowship requires more pitching of original ideas, more longer pieces, and just more writing in general. Apply to the internship if you're still in college or just finished undergrad. Apply to the fellowship if you have six months to a year of digital media experience under your belt and/or recently graduated from grad school.
To apply, submit your resumé, cover letter, clips, and availability below. Thank you in advance for your time and interest! We accept applications on a rolling basis.
- Follow news in your respective vertical on all the relevant social media accounts, subreddits, blogs, and beyond
- Pitch stories ideas, interview subjects, and write with the oversight of an experienced editor
- Assist the editorial team with transcribing, researching, and light fact-checking
- Help organize and manage various documents and spreadsheets for the editorial team
- Brainstorm innovative and interesting ideas for new features, videos, and news coverage
- Remain flexible and positive in the ever-changing startup environment